As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, local public health officials are asking communities across the country to stay inside as much as possible. Additionally, local businesses are largely closed in order to reduce the spread of this incredibly contagious virus, including dental offices. If you are currently undergoing a treatment with Invisalign in Marion but aren’t sure what to do since you cannot see your dentist as often, keep reading to learn a few easy steps to avoid interruptions in your care!
It’s Essential to Keep Wearing Them
Since Invisalign’s clear aligners system relies on a series of clear plastic trays to shift teeth, you generally aren’t required to visit the dentist as much compared to traditional orthodontics to begin with. However, even though you have access to multiple pairs of aligners at a time, it can become confusing as to what you should do next when you can’t visit the dentist.
What matters is that you keep going through your series as planned, wearing each pair for the set period of time recommended by the dentist. However, if you have already worn every pair that you have available in your series, simply keep wearing your most recent aligner at this time. Until you get to see the dentist again, the aligner will function as a retainer.
It’s very important to keep wearing your current aligner so that your teeth do not shift back into their crooked position. Since you are performing a very active treatment, teeth need time to adjust to their new placement before you can stop wearing your aligner for most of the day. While you do, here is how you can make sure they are properly taken care of.
How to Keep Them Clean and Clear
Aftercare for clear aligners is not only important for their appearance, but their function as well. To maintain your clear aligners, take note of the following tips below:
- After removing your aligners, make sure to rinse them off with plain cool water.
- Never use hot water to clean or soak your aligners as this can warp their shape.
- Before wearing your aligners, make sure to brush and floss.
- Use Invisalign’s cleaning crystals to soak and sanitize your aligners for at least 15 minutes twice a day. Do not use toothpaste or harsh chemicals. In a pinch, a denture cleanser tablet can also work to sanitize your aligners.
- Keep them in their dedicated shell case when not in use. Doing this will prevent you from accidentally throwing away your aligners during a meal or damaging them while traveling.
- In the event you lose or damage your aligners in any way, call the dentist as soon as possible.
With the right tips in mind, you can avoid interruptions in your care despite your inability to visit the dentist as much as planned. Don’t hesitate to contact the dentist in the event you have additional questions regarding Invisalign care at home!
About Bruner Dental Center
The dentists at Bruner Dental Center work hard to make every patient’s Invisalign experience a positive one. Despite these difficult and uncertain times, the dentists are still open to handle dental emergencies and take your questions over the phone. If you have concerns regarding Invisalign or an emergency issue, you can contact them through their website.