If you missed your chance for braces as a teen, or your teeth have shifted over the years, you can benefit from the clear choice in orthodontics with Invisalign. However, if you have a habit of grinding or clenching your teeth, your treatment can be a little more complicated. Here’s what you need to know about wearing clear aligners if you have bruxism.
How Invisalign Works
Invisalign differs from metal braces because no brackets or wires are used. Instead, a series of aligners are created to apply continual pressure when worn over your teeth. Each set of aligners will move your teeth in small increments using a discrete and comfortable method.
You must commit to wearing Invisalign for at least 22 hours per day and switching to the next set of aligners every 1-2 weeks. In about 12 months, you will have a straight, confident smile you’ll be proud to show off.
Invisalign with Bruxism is Possible
Invisalign is made from durable transparent plastic. Although it is strong, it can wear down quickly if you grind or clench your teeth. Patients with bruxism can benefit from Invisalign, but you may need replacement aligners throughout your treatment if they become damaged. Don’t worry, your dentist can order you a new set, so there aren’t any delays in your treatment plan.
Benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign is the preferred orthodontic system among teens and adults because it’s virtually invisible and offers various advantages, including:
- Discreet: Although you can see your aligners while holding them in your hand, they are very hard to detect when worn over your teeth. With the correct care, like brushing and flossing, your aligners will stay transparent, so you won’t have any unwanted attention drawn to your smile.
- Comfortable: You won’t have to deal with brackets or wires irritating the insides of your lips or cheeks. Invisalign is smooth and custom-fit for enhanced comfort.
- Convenience: You won’t need appointments for adjustments because there aren’t any wires or brackets. You’ll still need to visit your dentist every few weeks so they can monitor the progression of your treatment.
- No Diet Restrictions: You can eat anything you like with Invisalign, but remove your aligners when having anything except water.
- Quick Results: Every situation differs, but most patients are finished with their aligners in about 12 months.
- Affordable: You can use your dental insurance to lower the amount you will pay out-of-pocket.
Don’t let bruxism stand in the way of achieving your best smile. Your dentist will create the personalized plan you need to reach your goals.
About Dr. Christine Root
Dr. Root earned her dental degree at the Indiana University School of Dentistry and has completed advanced education in dental implants and orthodontics. She holds memberships with many professional organizations, including the American Dental Association and the Indiana Dental Association. If you’re interested in Invisalign, request an appointment through our website or call (765) 613-3128.